question...

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

How exactly does self-worth work?  I know that sounds like a stupid question...but really.   Who are we if not the person that other people think we are?  If I don't think I'm funny but everyone else does, then I must be funny.  Conversely, if I think I'm funny but no one else does, then I am not funny.  If I think I am beautiful but no one else does, then I must not be beautiful and vice versa.  Right?  But why should we be defined by what others think of us?  I personally could care less about what a majority of the people around me think.  But, is that even possible?  I can't live my life in solitude.  My interactions with people are based on their opinions of me.  I care to interact with other people.  So then I guess I do care what they think?  It DOES matter what others think.  Then does it even matter what I think of myself?  No matter how high I personally hold myself, people will treat me how they think I should be treated based on the person THEY think I am.  So, are we just hopelessly subjected to the opinions of others?  Or is it self-worth that really matters?


Who am I really?

6 comments:

Ashlaay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

this is the most confusing thing i have ever read, and usually you make alot of scense ash, especially because your so smart.

Eva Padilla said...

These are words of truth my dear friend. However, what people think of us comes from what they see. What we choose to show them depends on us and however we go about those relationships will allow them to choose what they see in us and us in them. It's a never-ending cycle, and who knows which one came first. The chicken or the egg? I believe we are born with an affinity to our own personalities; we really like ourselves. Which is why most people live their lives to better their situations and build relationships. No one is truly an individual. Ever.

Ashlaay said...

Eva, you should be a philosopher. haha. You make sense of everything. It is a sad reality.

Eva Padilla said...

A philosopher? A sad reality? I just call it like it is baby. Love you!

Ashlaay said...

haha no not sad that you should be a philosopher. It is sad that no one is truly ever an individual! haha
LOVE YOU TOO EVVV!!
DRIVE BACK WITH ME :)